The 2018 FIFA World Cup began in Russia on June 14, 2018, and ends on July 15, 2018. It is the largest sporting event in the world that happens every 4 years. This year’s FIFA World Cup brings together the men’s national football (aka soccer) teams from 32 countries. It is projected that almost half of the entire world’s population would be watching one of the national teams lift the FIFA World Cup Trophy and be crowned the best football team in the world.
Here are the top 5 team lessons that organizations can learn from the FIFA World Cup:
- Strategy – Have a game plan but adapt when ground realities change
- Politics – Select team members based on expertise and not biases (stardom)
- Innovation – Be open to different ways of accomplishing the same goal
- Culture – Create an environment that rewards both individual and collective wins
- Execution – Have a clear mission, train rigorously and regroup often to assess